Wednesday, May 4, 2011

We gather to volunteer


As I sat in the circle at the year-end Parent Service Organization (PSO), I looked around the room at some new and some very familiar faces. This was my first PSO meeting and after seeing Jenny Wainwright in action this year, I wanted to go to her meeting. I heard about all of their accomplishments from teacher lunch breaks to the Fall Festival from the Auction to pizza delivery. I watched as they sat there quietly pleased with what they have done so far. I also watched the excitement they had for next year.

As a person with no children and having never been part of a PSO or PTA, it became very clear, very quickly that this is one of the most important aspects of a school. Who would be in charge of New Parent Night? Who would get pizza to the students on Wednesday? Who would be responsible for teacher appreciation week? Who would be in charge of community service? This is a group that at times flies under the radar but is still so vital to the community.

I left the meeting feeling compelled to help more; I left the meeting feeling that my charge was to communicate to people how important this group is as well as how rewarded they feel by what they do. At Duke School, we are a community. I think that people who come here cannot only see it but can feel it. The PSO is a great way to show your support to the school and to the countless parents that have spent years being the key volunteers.

My hope for Duke School in the coming years is to have every person in our community participate with the PSO in any way they can. Not only is the PSO a great way to help the community but also the events are great way to meet other parents. 

Let's get the volunteering started!

No comments:

Post a Comment