Wednesday, April 25, 2012

You don’t get that kind of interaction in the “corporate world”! By Russell Rabinowitz, Director of Finance and Operations


Spreadsheets, fire ants, broken thermostats, clogged toilets, jammed printers---these can easily become the life of a Director of Finance and Operations. Most of my days are spent analyzing numbers, working with the facilities staff, and making sure the school has all the appropriate resources it needs to deliver a high quality program. In the face of these daily challenges it is easy to lose sight of why we are at Duke School. Consumed by the details of the day-to-day operations and the running of a “business”, we forget that just up the hill is a group of young people who are learning and experiencing details in their own lives for the first time.
The week before spring break I attended the first grade health fair. At the first station, I was asked to complete a health assessment. One of the questions was “Do you get at least seven hours of sleep a night?” Of course, I answered “No.” The two students evaluating my answers on the form told me I need to get more sleep.
I then asked them what time they went to bed at night and both of them said, “Eight o’clock.” I told them I usually get home at seven (I live in Raleigh) and it would be difficult for me to eat dinner and do the other “chores” I need to do and still get to bed by eight o’clock. I suggested they come to my house and help me with my chores so I could go to bed earlier. They didn’t like that idea.
I asked them if they thought it would be a good idea if I left work earlier so I could go to bed earlier. They both agreed that was a good idea. I asked them if they would be willing to ask my boss if I could leave work earlier. They both said, “Yes.” I then asked them if they knew who my boss was. They did not.
I told them my boss is “Dave” and then asked them if they knew Dave. One of them said, “Yes, he’s the principal.”
Two days later at a staff meeting, Dave announced, “Russell needs more sleep.”
You don’t get that kind of interaction in the “corporate world”!

No comments:

Post a Comment